Monday 21 August 2017

Where Are You?

Hi Big H.

> Hi. Where are you?
I'm currently in a climbing and parkour (look it up) centre in Poole, Dorset. Actually that sounds like I'm implying that I am being physically active, but of course I am not. I'm sitting in the cafe taking advantage of the free wifi while the boys jump off walls and try not to snap their little collarbones.

This is an odd town. There's some sort of gated community that's recognised as the most expensive real estate location in the country outside London, but the only middle class people I have seen are either in here hanging from oddly-shaped plastic holds by their fingertips, or on holiday in neighbouring Bournemouth. I suppose it's possible that the resident middle classes are all away on holiday themselves. Perhaps Provence, which is, I understand, very nice at this time of year.

Most of the people I have seen today have been as common as muck, drunk, old and decrepit, or possibly all three. Not that I have any problem at all with people who fit into one or more of these groups, as most of my friends do. It is just an observation. It is probably not a fair reflection on Poole itself, either. Maybe I caught it on a bad day.

I have enjoyed conversations with two friendly, quick-witted young women who both happened to be beautiful and both happened to be Scots a long, long way from home. This has further skewed my perception of the indigenous population. One of these women sold me a pair of Birkenstocks that are playing merry hell with the tops of my feet as I attempt to break them in. She worked in a shoe shop, of course. I do not buy my sandals in the street, that would not be proper.

> Do you know the song "I've Been Everywhere, man"? You could learn it and all sing it in the car. 
This song?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vaB1rnW11jY
That, I believe, is the first time I've heard it. It was very good. I've always wanted to go to New Zealand. Maybe when I've created my own UK version of this, I will.

> I'll try and think of some more travel songs.
Both "On the Road Again" and "Goin' Up the Country" have popped into my head a lot. But I seem to remember that you don't rate Canned Heat that highly? You've missed out. They're great.

> Hope "The Long and Winding Road" will lead to your door!
Well, I think we are settling in for as long a road as possible. We are really enjoying a simple life of few possessions which are all used frequently, and a big van that other road users give a very wide berth. But you will be less-than-surprised to hear that I now think it unlikely that the money will last a whole year. 

Remember, you can always keep up with developments on the blog. You might want to give the newest update a miss, though, as I think I'm just going to copy and paste this email. Free wifi is, after all, our rarest and most precious commodity.

> Love from Big "Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner" H XX
Smashing to hear from you. Much love, T, M, E and Little H. Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment